I’ve deleted my facebook account. It wasn’t one single event, but several which came together.
1. The intention of facebook went from “connecting” to “profit”. Not sure when this happened, but icky.
2. I hate like - I dont want facebook to know everything (see #1)
3. Funny thing - facebook controls your privacy from everyone except facebook. They are selling gorgeous demographic-based advertising. (see #1 and #2)
4. Facebook says they own my data. So if I write a wall post - it’s theirs. icky.
5. How hard it is to keep my student / personal information walled off. There’ some things I don’t want to know about my kids.
I also already have a pretty well-established web presence, I’m building a bigger web-presence, and I never had trouble with people getting in touch with me.
I’ll miss remembering people’s birthdays, I suppose.
Published on Friday, May 14, 2010 (8 years, 11 months, and one week ago). Posted in: Blogging News Personal Teaching Diary